Sunday, December 09, 2007

The Infinite Sadness

For the last couple of weeks, I haven't been able to get the The Fray's song "How to Save a Life" out of my head. It's a good song, and it's on my "Current Favorites" list on my iPod, but it's about as feel-good as a movie about the Holocaust and 9/11 combined.

I've looked at the lyrics a few times and can't come up with a positive interpretation. According to Wikipedia, lead singer Isaac Slade says that it's about mentoring troubled teens at summer camp. Others think it's about drunk driving or the Dissolution of Czechoslovakia (easily my favorite possibility). I'm convinced that someone ends up dead by the end of the song. Look at the chorus:
Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life.
Any way you slice it, someone ends up kicking the bucket. Actually, since the chorus is repeated six times, it could be a half-dozen deaths. Maybe it's actually about Jack the Ripper.

It gets worse. A few weeks after I first got the song stuck in my head, I sat down to watch a rerun of Scrubs, and it happened to be an episode called "My Lunch." It's a stellar episode, probably one of the best that I've seen. Dr. Cox becomes obsessed with getting organs for three dying patients, but after getting the necessary organs and getting them in the patients, they discover that the person that the organs came from had rabies. As you can imagine, the ending isn't exactly positive, and guess what song is playing!!



Did you watch it? You feel like shit now don't you? So not only do I have the song itself trapped in my head, but now I have this depressing ending lodged in my head with it. Every time I hear this song now, I think of all kinds of sad things like drowning puppies, genocide, ten grandmas dying, terminally ill children, and just about every episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.

I get lots of songs stuck in my head, and usually I don't mind (though sometimes people glare at me for humming them in line at the store). Most of the time it's either some 80s gem or an extremely embarrassing girly song, so I can just rock out privately in my car as passing motorists look on in confusion and disgust. But I swear to your God, if I can't get this song out of my head soon, I'm not only going to slit my own wrists, but I'm going to come over to your house and slit yours too.

The Fray proves that even the most cynical asshole can be manipulated by a man with a piano and a catchy tune.

-----------------
9 out of 10 readers are pissed that JP has depressed them when they were looking for a good laugh. The last reader thinks JP is never funny anyway.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

To each his own, but I personally can not stand that song.

It hit a peak and got played out. That was probably the first time I heard it in a few months.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a terrible song.....radio just ruins so many good ones by playing them over and over and over and over and over [etc].

Now cheer yourself up, go get Rick Rolled!

JP said...

I somehow only started hearing it a few weeks ago. I always pick up on things about six months after their initial popularity, so I'm not surprised.

It is overplayed, and that's the problem. I can't get it out of my head. And that may be where Rick Rolling will come into play.

Unknown said...

Never gonna give
Never gonna give

Unknown said...

Boys, are you aware that this is my favorite band and that I was fucking FRONT and CENTER for their concert?

The song is supposedly about a high school friend who died. That's the word on the street anyway. Isaac won't say exactly. Uh I love him.

Doesn't he look like Richie? hahahah

Unknown said...

Or, you could look at this and see what millions of losers have to say.

I disagree with most of them.

http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=3530822107858556882