Friday, August 29, 2008

Internet Killed the Video Star


Sometimes I come up with a title that's just too damn clever for it to be original. Such is the case with this title. According to Google, 42,000 other websites have used it; however, if I learned one thing in grad school, it's that titles can't be copyrighted, so I'm plagiarizing it and providing a clever video.

In any case, the fall TV season is about to start in a few weeks, and I haven't been less enthusiastic about that since the highlights of my television schedule were Inspector Gadget and Double Dare. There are absolutely zero new shows that I'm interested in checking out. Of all the returning shows, only House is still appointment TV for me. The Venture Bros. won't be returning for its fourth season until Fall 2009, and Battlestar Galactica starts its new episodes in January 2009.

The only new Law & Order on this fall will be SVU, and I wasn't impressed with the most recent season. I may check it out every once in awhile, but I certainly won't make a point of watching it every week. Law & Order: Criminal Intent just finished its season on the USA Network, but I've never been a big fan of that series (although I watched the season finale last week, and it was pretty cool). Apparently Jeff Goldblum will be replacing Chris Noth's character in the next season, so maybe I'll give the series another shot then. The original Law & Order won't begin its 19th season (19TH SEASON!!! JESUS!!!) until January 2009 just like Battlestar Galactica, so my Jack McCoy/Admiral Adama fanfic will have to hold off until then.

I can say with some measure of pride that I finally kicked my Smallville habit during the middle of its seventh season. That abortion of a show strung me along for years before I could finally see that it wasn't going anywhere. The actors playing Lex Luthor, Lionel Luthor, Lana Lang, Martha Kent, and Jonathan Kent have all left the show. The show just won't fucking work without Lex Luthor. He was the only thing keeping me on board. I almost want to tune in just to see how bad it can get (and I've seen it get pretty damn bad), but I know that's just a path towards self-destruction. I'll stick with reading a few episode recaps on the internet, thank you very much.

Instead of watching new television shows, I've found a haven over at Netflix. I can rent the old seasons for any TV show that I want, and there are plenty of critically-acclaimed shows that I've never seen. I'm almost through the first season of The Wire, and as much as I hate to admit when everyone's right.... everyone's right. The show is amazing. The creator knows it's amazing too. If you listen to his audio commentary for any of the episodes, he raves about how awesome his show is so often that you begin to feel like you're listening to an auditory masturbation session. Seriously, I think I have commentary cum in my ear. (HAR! Disgusting metaphorical imagery! Thanks Masters Degree!)

On my Netflix list, I've also reserved the first seasons of Boston Legal, The Office, and 30 Rock along with quite a few movies. I've heard great things about all three shows, but I've never watched them regularly. That should fill up some of my TV time.

Alternatively, I could always commit myself to becoming a bigger football fan. I enjoy watching the Steelers play most of the time, but if no one else is around, I'm more inclined to surf the internet, watch old reruns of Law & Order, or eat a gallon of pudding. I've finally gotten to the point where I can watch a game and know most of what's going on, and I even get excited during the games. I finally went to my first Steelers game at Heinz Field last night, and I enjoyed myself. But I just don't get the same rush out of watching every football game that my friends from Kittanning seem to. I claim that they're obsessed, but then I remember that I know how the stardate system works on Star Trek, and I shut my mouth.

--------------------------------
"If we don't teach our kids to read, how will they ever know what's on?" - Family Guy (back when it used to be good)

No comments: