Thursday, November 26, 2009

Personal Fowl: Unnecessary Deliciousness

Why must the holidays be filled with such delicious things? Thanksgiving is a particular offender in this instance. Not only is turkey full of tasty win at the actual dinner, but the leftovers make for fine cold sandwiches or even hot turkey sandwiches with gravy. It's a total myth that the tryptophan in turkey makes you sleepy--it's actually just the high level of carbohydrates in the massive traditional dinner with all the fixins that you're body is working overtime to digest--but I'll be damned if there isn't a better feeling than the post-dinner/pre-pie phase when all seems lazy and right in the world.

And speaking of pie, I LOVE pumpkin pie... easily the best of all pies. Pile a mountain of cool whip on that sumbitch, and you've got a recipe for a tasty treat.

The downside: none of it is good for you. My newfound healthy ways can hinder my enjoyment of the little things in life at times. I am he who knows too much. Oh how I long for the blissful ignorance of my piss-poor eating habits. Then I could shovel in three or four pieces of pie with reckless abandon and enjoy each and every sweet bite. Now I'll still wolf down the same three or four pieces, but I'll feel really guilty about it afterwards.

I guess I'll just accept that today doesn't count. And neither do the three or four days afterwards when I'm pigging out on the leftovers.

------------------------------------
"Is... is that a taco pie?"
"Mmm-hmm"
"TACO PIE!!"
"I added food coloring because it's a holiday. But it turned black because I added all the food coloring I had. Then I ate this butter straight out of the tub, because it tastes good. There's a reason behind everything."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aparantly this leaves you in a fowl mood

KP said...

... but you look great J.

JP's mom said...

I'm SO proud that you remembered that the tryptophan in turkey doesn't make you sleepy. You must have been paying at least a little attention to my nutritional rants!