Friday, January 01, 2010

10 Resolutions for 2010

WE WISHEN YE UN HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM VALHALLA!

In the next year, I'd like the make the following changes to my life:

1. Learn to Dance - I'd like to take a legitimate dance class wherein I learn to cut a rug and trip the light fantastic. I'm not talking about the casual club dancing either. I want to learn something classy. My brother once learned swing dancing, and I've had the opportunity to take a class in it on more than one occasion, but I always declined. Now I think it would be fun and worthwhile.

2. Blog Consistently - I don't blog near as often as I should, and the subjects range from bizarre to downright self-indulgent. I need a focus and a commitment to content. I find it fun on my own (it's writing with no pressure), but if people are going to read this thing, there needs to be a bigger spark.

3. Find a Job - I will NOT be unemployed during 2010. Once I'm done with this certification program at the end of April, I'll have two months (May and June) to substitute teach. As long as I can find some temporary work in July and August, I can start applying to full time teaching positions in September. I'll move wherever I have to in order to find a job. I'm sick and tired of mooching off of my parents and government loans. I want to be able to take some pride in my work and have my own life. Such things require steady and earned income.

4. Get a New Haircut - I'd like to try some new style. I've had the same hairstyle forever, mostly because my frustratingly straight and fine hair doesn't do much on its own. But maybe I can try something new and exciting that will make me look suave and epic. This one, admittedly, sounds stupid given how sexy I currently am. :)

5. Lose Weight - I'm 22 lbs. away from my ideal weight (210 lbs). I'd like to get there to see what I look like.

6. Travel - I need to go SOMEWHERE this year. I've never traveled on an airplane, and I've never been out of this time zone. I've been trying to work toward a trip to India, and I just might have to push that through this summer. If I wait for the financial situation to be perfect, I'll never go anywhere.

7. Learn Spanish - This one is a long shot, mostly because everyone says they want to learn a new language, and no one ever does. So I won't be terribly disappointed if this one doesn't happen. But I have a lot of Spanish vocabulary floating through my brain from five and a half years of classes, but I've forgotten a TON of the usage rules. I'd like to start refreshing this stuff so that I could get something out of it.

8. Be More Social - I'm kind of a loner when left to my own devices, and while I like my solitude quite a bit, sometimes the loneliness can destroy a man. I'd like to make a greater attempt to do things with other people on the weekends and in the evenings. It's very easy to become acclimated to a hermitic lifestyle.

9. Find a Relationship - I'm not looking for my one true love here, but I'd like to have some sort of relationship with a member of the opposite sex that lasts longer than 2 months. It's been six years since I've been able to pull that off.

10. Write Every Week - I really would like to devote some serious time to my writing. I say this all the time, but I have some great ideas swimming around in my head, and I should make a scheduled commitment to typing them into story form. I actually have some new approaches to this that I plan to blog about soon.

Of course, if I can even do ONE of these things, I'd be ecstatic. The way I see it, having ten goals and knowing full well that I can't accomplish them all takes some of the pressure off. Having this out in the open on my blog keeps me honest. I can't just change my mind or pretend that I never had the idea. Here's hoping I can create a JP that is more to my liking.

-----------------------------------
"WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF TOMORROW!!"

No comments: