Saturday, January 23, 2010

Tales From the Back Burner

Another terrific side result of teaching and taking classes all the time is that my personal writing has taken a back seat to everything else. I have a folder brimming with ninth graders' research papers that requires my grading prowess. Three book chapters need to be read. My teaching portfolio must be assembled. And my burning desire to see Avatar must be sated. I simply do not have time to indulge in the adventures of my stagnant and bemoaning protagonist and his erstwhile attempts to make something of himself. I'm too busy dealing with his real life counterpart: me.

Over the Christmas break, I made some minor attempts to toy with the structure of the book. All through last semester, I never touched the damn thing, but I would get ideas for it and jot them down in a handy dandy notebook that I kept in my bookbag. By the time the semester was over, I wanted to jettison everything I'd written up to that point and replace it with a completely new idea. Rough drafts rape your soul precisely because you have to throw away hours of work for your own good. For instance, my initial rough draft began with my main character in jail and having a cliche-ridden conversation with some dimwitted cops. I was thoroughly displeased with this introduction, so I altered the first two pages significantly to give the police officers a bit more personality and provide some necessary conflict for the main character. But now I'm not so sure that I even want my guy starting out in jail. The whole setup may have to go. It's maddening to think about, so oftentimes I prefer to focus on tangible and immediate challenges for graduate school and teaching. When I grade a paper, that's a finished effort that's not changing at all... unless the students can prove how drunk I am when I score them.

There are times when I wish I had a disposable trust fund to live on as I huddle in a seaside bungalow writing short stories and novels for the enjoyment of the masses. But then I realize that I'd only destroy myself with crippling self-criticism and off myself with a toaster oven, a bathtub, and an H. R. Pufinstuf DVD. I can waste time with the best of them, but I kinda like having obligations to keep my occupied. It keeps my twisted imagination from dwelling on my own inadequacies and failed dreams.

But that novel just gathers dust in my C: drive. I want to finish it... mostly to prove to myself that I can. Once I settle into the routine of student teaching, maybe I'll be able to make a schedule where I devote at least a solid two or three hours a week to working on it. Or maybe old Mr. P will do what my ninth grade history teacher did and have my students read the newspaper every Friday and then use the time to write in school. Those are educational principles, my friends.

For the time being, I think I'll just leave Eugene and the Amazing Time-Traveling Tomato to rest for now. I'll focus on my existing challenges for the moment, and I'll leave the writing of my superfluous verbal fluff for another day.

---------------------------
9 out of 10 readers can't imagine how the book would be any good if this blog is the best JP can come up with so far.

8 comments:

KP said...

Loved the Blue's Clues reference :)

Joe said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWsGvWwUctk

contemplator said...

There are times when I wish I had a disposable trust fund to live on as I huddle in a seaside bungalow writing short stories and novels for the enjoyment of the masses.

And now you know the secret of how most of the writers we know about get published ....

JP said...

KP: I keep it sophisticated at all times.

Joe: Yeah, you're not the 78th person to remind me of that clip at all.

Contemplator: Hell, Hemingway had enough left over for booze and bullfighting.

Anonymous said...

[u][b]Xrumer[/b][/u]

[b]Xrumer SEO Professionals

As Xrumer experts, we possess been using [url=http://www.xrumer-seo.com]Xrumer[/url] for the benefit of a sustained immediately for the time being and remember how to harness the massive power of Xrumer and go off it into a Banknotes machine.

We also provide the cheapest prices on the market. Diverse competitors see fit cost 2x or consistent 3x and a destiny of the term 5x what we charge you. But we believe in providing great accommodation at a small affordable rate. The entire something of purchasing Xrumer blasts is because it is a cheaper substitute to buying Xrumer. So we plan to stifle that bit in mind and provide you with the cheapest rate possible.

Not solitary do we be suffering with the most successfully prices but our turnaround time for your Xrumer posting is wonderful fast. We will secure your posting done in the forefront you know it.

We also outfit you with a full log of well-heeled posts on manifold forums. So that you can notice also in behalf of yourself the power of Xrumer and how we be struck by harnessed it to help your site.[/b]


[b]Search Engine Optimization

Using Xrumer you can trust to realize thousands upon thousands of backlinks for your site. Tons of the forums that your Location you will be posted on get exalted PageRank. Having your join on these sites can truly mitigate establish up some top-grade quality back links and genuinely riding-boot your Alexa Rating and Google PageRank rating utterly the roof.

This is making your put more and more popular. And with this better in regard as superbly as PageRank you can envisage to see your milieu really filthy high-pitched in those Search Locomotive Results.
Transport

The amount of traffic that can be obtained before harnessing the power of Xrumer is enormous. You are publishing your situation to tens of thousands of forums. With our higher packages you may even be publishing your locality to HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of forums. Imagine 1 mail on a stylish forum last will and testament usually rig out 1000 or so views, with communicate 100 of those people visiting your site. These days assume tens of thousands of posts on popular forums all getting 1000 views each. Your see trade ordain function because of the roof.

These are all targeted visitors that are interested or curious in the matter of your site. Imagine how innumerable sales or leads you can fulfil with this considerable loads of targeted visitors. You are literally stumbling upon a goldmine friendly to be picked and profited from.

Remember, Shipping is Money.
[/b]

GO YOUR TWOPENNY BURST TODAY:


http://www.xrumer-seo.com

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Dismiss Idle Downloads Using NZB Files You Can Quickly Search High Quality Movies, Console Games, Music, Software & Download Them at Electric Speeds

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Usenet[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Forget Laggin Downloads Using NZB Files You Can Rapidly Search Movies, Console Games, MP3s, Software & Download Them @ Accelerated Rates

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]NZB Search[/B][/URL]

JP said...

Thanks a lot, spambots. Now I have to add some sort of spam protection to my comments.

Big pain in my ass.