Thursday, October 25, 2007

For Tomorrow We Diet

In the last two and a half years, I've lost about 70 pounds. I'm quite pleased about that; however, most of that loss happened about a year and a half ago. Since I entered grad school, I haven't lost anything. In fact, I've gained about 10 pounds since I started grad school.

It's certainly not exercise that's the problem. I get to the gym about 3 or 4 times a week. My problem is simple: FOOD IS DELICIOUS!!

Milkshakes, pizza, ice cream, Salt and Vinegar potato chips, cake, pie... holy crap, I haven't had pie in forever! And Thanksgiving is coming up! It's going to be so sweet (pun intended)! And pie is only the tip of that top space on the food pyramid. Don't even get me started on my love affair with doughnuts.

I seem to have very womanly eating habits. I overeat when I'm stressed or upset... and these two emotions run rampant in grad school. I even have certain foods that are my weaknesses. Christ, the only reason I don't sit down with a carton of Ben and Jerry's is because I'm trying to hold onto the few strands of manliness that I've somehow tricked people into thinking that I have.

Eating healthy can be disheartening too. I went to the store a few weeks ago and purchased a few healthy things - salad, cucumbers, rice, Healthy Choice frozen dinners, fat free ice cream, etc. My small, but very healthy cart of food cost me about 50 or 60 bucks. Meanwhile, the woman in front of me had a cart full of frozen pizza, sugary cereals, processed fried meat, and enough bagged French fries to feed an elementary school - 25 dollars!! Damn woman was the size of a toothpick too.

I do my best to eat well, but there are so many tasty things to eat. My only consolation is when I imagine what sort of walrus I'd be if I didn't exercise.

-----------------------------
The weight scale - creating new vulgarities since man first created it

3 comments:

contemplator said...

Quit bashing me at the grocery store!!!

just kidding. You like salt & vinegar chips too?? Isn't that just the best/worst food ever?

JP said...

I can't even buy Salt and Vinegar chips anymore because I'll chow down a whole bag of them in one sitting. So damn good!

contemplator said...

I love them at first. Then I hit some saturation level and they become really, really gross. But there is definitely the feeding frenzy first.