Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Tuesdays with JP


Despair.com describes the above poster as being perfect for boxing enthusiasts, Dr. Zachary Smith, reconstructive surgeons, and disaffected college students (they're the target audience for a lot of their posters). Well, on Tuesdays, the word "disaffected" does even begin to approach my mental state.

Most of my week is pretty cozy. I teach on Thursday afternoons, and I have a lot of homework to do, but my time is pretty much mine to do with as I please. I can do my work whenever I want. But my freedom and general malaise comes at a price... and that price is paid in full (plus interest) on Tuesdays.

Behold my Tuesday:
12:00 - 1:00 > must be in my office for the office hours that no student ever comes to
1:00 - 2:15 > English 101 - first class
2:30 - 3:45 > English 101 - second class (keep in mind that I have to teach the same lesson in a row)
4:00 - 7:00 > Old English
7:00 - 10:00 > 19th Century Magazines

Doesn't that sound fun? Doesn't that ten hour mass of classroom time just fill you with enough envy to turn you four shades of green? Usually I end my 2:30 class a bit early so that I can run across town to grab something to eat, but sometimes I end up eating a package of Pop Tarts out of the vending machine... my healthy diet is the envy of bodybuilders everywhere.

It gets better. Most of that time is spent in Stansbury Hall - home of the English department, the psychology department, and the ROTC (quite the sense of humor the building planners had). For the last six weeks or so, the air conditioning has been broken. That might not be so bad if there were any windows in the building! So those last six hours get to be really pleasant. And you can imagine the mood of everyone else in the building too.

But wait!! There's more!! The last classroom I'm in is in the basement of Stansbury, and this room, for whatever reason, reeks of urine. There's no mistaking that rich, pungent stench of pee. Yesterday, because of a torrential downpour, that room also flooded. So the earthy aroma of mildew spores was added to the already putrid stench of pee to create an assault on the senses that would send Pig Pen running for some deodorizer.

I don't know if the rest of the week makes up for just how unpleasant these Tuesdays are becoming. Suddenly the 9 to 5 world doesn't seem so bad.

------------------------------
English Majors - twisted enough to piss in a classroom to show their disdain for the program... but too dimwitted to realize that they have to sit in those same classrooms for hours at a time.

No comments: