Friday, August 31, 2007

I Know Why the Caged Bird Skips

Ladies and gentlemen - we have a winner!

As if by some fortuitous happenstance, only one day after posting my elaborate article about attendance, I received the BEST excuse from a student.

There have been some contenders, as you are no doubt aware. But this one just leaps out as the cream of the crop. So without further ado, the best excuse for missing class ever:

No my Grandmother did not die today, in fact the reason I missed class today was because I unfortunately spent the night last night in jail. I was unable to get a ride back in time to make it to class...

I don't care if it's the truth or a lie. This is the best excuse so far! He even took my lesson to heart. The poor bastard gets double-kudos.

Given the people that the Morgantown police let out on the streets, this guy must have done something pretty impressive to be put in jail in this town. My first class suddenly became a lot more interesting.

--------------------
The Morgantown Police Department: Providing the ultimate alibi for my students since August 29. 2007.

3 comments:

contemplator said...

I had an older nontrad my first semester of teaching who disappeared for weeks and then reappeared when we were handing in the second paper. He was obviously confused. He was redfaced and shaking when we went out into the hallway to talk about things. He said he'd had the flu and had been home.

My bet is that he was in jail and he had a serious case of withdrawal right about then.

JP said...

It really makes threats that much harder to make. I mean, once they've been to jail, what can *we* really do to them that could compare?

contemplator said...

Hm....come on over to my blog and add your two cents worth to the "anonymous" back and forth that's ensuing.