Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Oh Mama!! Shake Your Tailfeathers!!

One day I was bored and on the internet (all good blog posts [and most confessions to a priest] start that way), so I was YouTubing music videos. Granted, most music videos don't make a lot of sense. A lot of them are just random collections of images that apparently form an emotional whole. But I found two that totally boggle the mind.

The first is called "Disco Duck" by Rick Dees

If that video doesn't give you pause, then I don't know what will. First, you've got Rick Dees there thrusting his hips and orgasming as he yells "I'M THE DISCO DUUUUUUCK!" Then these people in duck costumes show up and start discoing with all the usual 70s folk. I'd almost give this video a pass just because it was made in the 1970s, but then I remembered that there was no MTV back then. I think this video was made just because Rick loved the song so much. And what's with Donald Duck lending his voice to these proceedings? It implies certain feelings toward Daisy Duck that I just can't reconcile with my childhood.

The other song is better known. I've known this song for years, but I'd never seen the music video. I feel like I've missed out on a lot. This is "The Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats.

What does this song have to do with dancing with midgets and wenches in days of yore? I love how totally intense this Hayden Christensen guy is while singing in this magical realm. There's puppets, dwarfs, that rope game, and even a man wearing a chicken mask for some reason. At about two minutes in, there's even a guy briefly spanking the midget. I could accept it all as just one more bizarre creation from the 80s, but then in the last two seconds, about ten images of fighter jets suddenly flash on screen. Where the hell did that come from? Are those the friends that are left behind? What does this mean???

I actually wanted to know what the Safety Dance looked like, and that video left me with even more questions and an unsettled feeling in my loins.

-----------------------
Four out of five readers now want to drop acid just to feel the joy that Rick Dees and Men Without Hats must have felt while making those videos.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With a music video like that it's hard to believe that Men without Hats was only a one hit wonder band.....

JP said...

They probably tried to do something stupid like make serious music. Nothing will kill a glorious midget beating like a rock ballad.