Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thanks but No Thanks

Guess who had his first in-person interview on Tuesday! And guess who is going to turn down the job of his own free will. I'll give you a hint - it's not John Lithgow.

Back in November, in a fit of desperation, I applied for adjunct positions at four area colleges for the Spring 09 semester. I had hoped to earn some decent money on the side while searching for more gainful employment. This was before my recent decision to go to Pitt for my teaching certification. When I didn't hear anything from them, I wasn't really surprised, but I did despair over the fact that I couldn't even get a job in something for which I was fabulously qualified. Then early last week, one of the places I applied to, a Penn State branch campus no less, called me. The woman on the phone wanted to know if I was interested in being a part-time English instructor in the Fall 09 semester. She asked me if I was available for an in-person interview.

I was flummoxed. For the last ten months, I've wanted nothing more than for someone to call me to offer me money-dollars. I would have gouged out my own pyloric sphincter and donated it to a self-aggrandizing hipster if it meant getting a job. But the timing couldn't have been worse. In the fall semester, I'll be at Pitt learning how to become a stooge for the local school districts. The Penn State campus in question is about an hour and fifteen minutes away from Pitt, so that wouldn't exactly be around the corner.

Against all advice from the "Job Hunting for Idiots" books I read, I explained all of this to the woman on the phone, and I expected her to hang up, disgusted with my lack of commitment to higher education. But she was persistent. "Oh don't worry about it," she said. "Come on in anyway. We can talk about the job, and it'll be good interviewing experience. I always tell my son that any interview is worth taking for the experience." I couldn't really argue with that, and her damned folksy demeanor made her seem so gosh darn nice!

So two days ago, I finally got to put on the suit I got for my job interviews (back when I thought my calendar would be packed with them). While I realize that the majority of men don't like wearing formal attire, I LOVE wearing a suit. I always feel like a man with dreams, hopes, and a hedge fund. So feeling suitably professional and adult-like, I made the trip to the PA/Ohio border to what I have decided to be the dingiest Penn State campus I had ever seen. The entire college appeared to be converted from an old high school. I think my meeting was in what used to be the gymnasium. In any case, This mousy little woman in her mid-forties introduces herself as the English Department Chair. She then marvels at my formal-wear: "Well look at you! Aren't we handsome today!" I immediately felt like I was about to have cookies at grandma's house rather than interviewing for a job.

But if this woman was grandma.... the crazy uncle that no one trusts around the kids was about to arrive.

After setting me up in the conference room and getting me some water (sippy cup not included this time), the woman informs me that her colleague will be joining us shortly. We don't have to wait long. Bursting through the door comes this magnificent man decked out in black jeans, a leather coat (it's 65 degrees outside) and square humanities-major glasses. He's got this puffy white hair that's gelled and pointing somewhere behind him and a good distance above his head. His matching goatee would have made Colonel Sanders weep. He looked like some hybrid of Eddie Izzard and Billy Connolly. Go ahead and do a Google Image search for those two. You'll get the idea.

The two of them tell me that they're the entire full-time English department. I chuckle at what I assume to be a joke, but they're not laughing. Apparently Grandma teaches all of the low-level classes, and Captain Beefheart teaches the upper-level ones. This was easily the saddest English department I'd ever seen... and they wanted ME for their despondent team.

The grandmotherly woman tries her best to keep the interview professsional by asking me about my resume and such, but Batshit Insane English Guy kept jumping in with intellectual musings about the nature of the interview process. He likes to think of interviews as "vocational conversations." He then went on to mock the entire Penn State system, their job benefits, the faculty salaries, and stupid people. As Virgil well knows, any wacky old professor who can't stay on topic to save his life gets an A+ in my book. This guy was extremely honest about their little campus, much to the consternation of Sweet Grandma Lady.

I knew going into this interview that my chances of accepting this job were pretty slim. It was just too far away, and I knew far too well that the time commitment for teaching two undergraduate classes was nothing to sneeze at. But I wanted to treat this like a real interview so that I could get some real practice. Needless to say, that didn't happen. Instead, I kept getting even more reasons to avoid this job offer like the plague. Not only did they want me to travel all this way to teach two classes, but they would be two different classes, which would require two different lesson plans for each class. One of the classes they wanted me to teach was Business Writing, and that just completely blew my mind. If I knew anything about communicating in the business world, I sure as hell wouldn't be in my current situation.

But the capper was the salary. I knew part-time adjuncts didn't make much money, but I never truly appreciated the definition of a "pittance." I would only receive $2000 for each class... for the entire semester!!! That's $4000 for four months of work. I made more than that as a graduate student, which is sadder than sad.

By the time the interview was over, I was 100% certain that I didn't want this job. However, there was one problem: THEY BOTH LOVED ME! They told me that they would be eagerly recommending me to their superiors. Fortunately, they were realistic enough to say that they'd understand if I didn't want to do it. Colonel Wacky jumped in with a lengthy diatribe about how adjunct salaries should be higher. There's nothing worse than disappointing people who are truly nice and wonderful people and who are kissing your ass just the way you like it to be kissed. So I told them that I didn't have all the information about my schedule for the fall (which is true) and that I would get back to them once I did.

Coming out of that interview, only one feeling really gripped me and wouldn't let go: unadulterated guilt. This campus clearly catered to certain.... less-than-stellar students who were being taught by understaffed, underappreciated, and underpaid teachers. Clearly I was a star candidate, which must say something about their usual crop of applicants. These two seemed like genuinely enthusiastic, supportive, and intelligent teachers who really wanted to do well by their students, and I got the impression that this school was in desperate need of good instructors. I felt like a heel knowing that I'd be turning down their offer.

Of course, the guilt won't stop me from rejecting them, but I'll feel really bad as I'm doing it.

----------------------------------
"Did everything just taste purple for a second?"

7 comments:

contemplator said...

LOL. We'll have to talk on the phone about job searches.


Adjunct pay is deplorable, it's true. I'm actually surprised, though, that they're hiring in the first place. We're having to cut adjunct classes here, because our enrollment is down. We still don't know how many we can hire, and everyone's teaching schedule is being held up.

On the other hand, though, when we get hit, little branches like that experience an surge in enrollment, so maybe that's why they need people? I don't know.

But now you know why most adjuncts are teaching a 4/4 load -- it's to make $16k (before taxes) to 18.5k a year, a tad more if you can squeeze in some online courses at another university your main job doesn't know about.

Of course the real answer is Unionization! But people are too scared to go there ... yet.

JP said...

Indeed we should. I don't know why I never call. I'm a bad friend like that. :) Actually, I should probably just take some time once the spring semester is over and come down for a Mo-town visit. I haven't imposed on hospitality in awhile.


Some of my friends and relations always wonder why I don't use my masters degree to teach. I think they're under the assumption that the pay would be better. They really have no idea.

I think the only reason they get away with it is because they prey on the desperation of some teachers. When you can't do anything else, they'll always take you to teach. And people wonder why non-tenured faculty members seem so apathetic and over-stressed.

contemplator said...

Definitely plan to come down once Spring Semester is over (two weeks from now, minimum). I'd love to have you visit. If you want to wait until Dante is gone, that'll be the second week of June.

Your choice. You know I'm always happy to see you come in.

Oh, and gossip. I has it.

contemplator said...

It's actually pretty good.

I'll hit you up on Twitter about it, maybe. I'll figure out a way. :D

JP said...

I'll figure out some time to come down, and much merriment will be had.

And what's with this twitter gossip!? I don't have Twitter! I'll be out of the loop once again!!

Anonymous said...

How can i carry away windows xp from my laptop and reinstall windows Me -the laptops first software?
I have recently bought a used laptop that is old. The living soul I had bought it from had installed windows xp on it, even though it at came with windows Me. I after to remove the windows xp because it runs slows on the laptop because it takes up more memory than the windows Me would. Also I need to remove windows xp because it is an proscribed copy. So when I tried to ass updates on it, windows would not set up updates because the windows xp is not genuine. [URL=http://racwnlx.makesgirlscrazy.com]anti flag bass tabs[/URL]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Answers :

It's better to relinquish [URL=http://omoohqe.makesgirlscrazy.com/ford-2004-front-disc-brake-rotors.html]ford 2004 front disc brake rotors[/URL] Windows XP and impartial upgrade your laptop. It's much better. [URL=http://nafukxo.makesgirlscrazy.com/edgar-gillham.html]edgar gillham[/URL] Besides, Windows XP is style [URL=http://kqpzlzz.makesgirlscrazy.com/leftover-hot-topic-merch.html]leftover hot topic merch[/URL] better then Windows Me. Windows Me is d‚mod‚ and many programs that can paddock with XP, can't [URL=http://ossahni.makesboyscrazy.com/2001-jeepgrand-cherokee-replacment-bumpers.html]2001 jeepgrand cherokee replacment bumpers[/URL] run with Me.
------------------------------
all you possess to do is interject the windows me disk into the cd drive. then reboot your laptop, when the malignant [URL=http://ienfauq.makesboyscrazy.com/fawn-miller-gallery.html]fawn miller gallery[/URL] sieve with all the info comes up and when it asks u to boot from cd [URL=http://yaadxxp.makesboyscrazy.com/clogged-kitchen-sink.html]clogged kitchen sink[/URL] belt any latchkey when it tells you to then install from there !!! I RECOMEND SINCE ITS AN ILLEAGLE TEXT TO WIPE [URL=http://freiskq.makesgirlscrazy.com/kush-sunrise-by-the-ocean.html]kush sunrise by the ocean[/URL] OUT OF THE CLOSET THE [URL=http://ekeeyxe.makesgirlscrazy.com/ron-walczak.html]ron walczak[/URL] TOTAL TIRING SEND WHEN IT ASKS YOU WHICH IMPENETRABLE [URL=http://vayaxff.makesboyscrazy.com/pyrex-bakeware.html]pyrex bakeware[/URL] GOAD TO INSTITUTE IT ON. THEN SUM ALL THE UNUSED PAUSE ON THE INSINCERE [URL=http://lbqaqou.makesboyscrazy.com/panasonic-rr-us450.html]panasonic rr-us450[/URL] URGENTLY SPUR ONTO A BRAND-NEW DOCUMENTATION FINGERS ON, IT ON LOOK LIKE C:/ Raw or something like that

Anonymous said...

Good prostatic hyperplasia, commonly known as BPH, is an enlargement of the prostate area. It is more exuberant in older men. As men are fetching more polished about healthfulness issues, they direct to medical treatment for BPH. Dutas, a generic appearance of Avodart([URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/ordering-avodart.html]ordering avodart[/URL] [URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-and-arthritis.html]avodart and arthritis[/URL] [URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-and-hair-loss.html]avodart and hair loss[/URL] [URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-savings.html]avodart savings[/URL] [URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/alcohol-effects-on-avodart.html]alcohol effects on avodart[/URL] ), has been proven as an moving treatment of BPH. BPH and its symptoms that adversely assume the quality of lifestyle can be treated successfully by Dutas. The principal clues of BPH is the frequency of basic to urinate. This occurs usually at evening but then progresses to the miss to urine again throughout the day. BPH sufferers later on report a reduction in strength in urine stream. Trouble accompanies this reduction. A medical doctor should direct testing to terminate if BPH is the grounds of the symptoms. The effectiveness of Dutas is bring about in the chemical merge Dutasteride. This influential ingredient is an alpha-reductase 5 inhibitor which impedes the conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is considered a forceful technique of testosterone. BPH symptoms vanish if ever the conversion is interrupted. Dutas has been base to be junk in BPH towards uncountable sufferers. Prescriptions finasteride and finasteride has been shown to no greater than curb a person isoform of alpha redictase 5. It has been established that Dutasteride has been proven to bridle two isoforms. Dutas audibly appears to victual the superlative treatment available after BPH. Dutas press be infatuated as directed with some precautions. Erectile dysfunction and decreased carnal libido are the most commonly reported side effects during practice of Dutas. Gynecomastia or enlargement of virile titty tissue is another accomplishable side effect. Additionally, women who are teeming or women unsatisfying to be proper expectant should not be exposed to Dutas; developing virile fetuses can be adversely niminy-piminy by these inhibitors. Dutas can be occupied wholly the incrustation so individual dolour should be exercised in regard to enceinte women or women unsatisfying to fit pregnant. Another side clout of Dutas is a favourable one. Some men bear reported hair replenishment while taking Dutas. BPH can be treated by discussing medications and feasible side effects with a medical professional. Dutas can specify effectual treatment of BPH. A worry-free, brisk spark of life is justly worth the effort.
[URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-active-ingredient.html]avodart active ingredient[/URL]
[URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-breast.html]avodart breast[/URL]
[URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-issues.html]avodart issues[/URL]
[URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-dosage.html]avodart dosage[/URL]
[URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/propecia-versus-avodart-for-hair-growth.html]propecia versus avodart for hair growth[/URL]