Tuesday, July 17, 2007

In the Eye of the Consumer

I called my optometrist's office today to order more contact lenses. The receptionist was very nice, but she had to put me on hold for a few minutes. While on hold, audio advertisements were playing, which was not new for me; however, the advertisement wasn't for eye care products. I distinctly heard: "Buy APC brand headlights for more distance and less glare!"

This got me thinking. Does the eye care place now have sponsors? Can any company just buy air time when people are on hold? Maybe the new trend in laser eye surgery is having an economic impact on the optometrists around the country. This new product placement could extend further. Maybe you'll be in their little chair and the doctor will say, "Now tell me - can you see the golden arches better on 1 or 2.... 1... or 2.... 1.... or 2...... Would you like that super sized?"

Speaking of the optometrist, am I the only one who fiddles with the knobs and switches on that giant eye machine? It just seems like such a cool gizmo. Of course I then get paranoid when I wonder if the original settings were important and I just fucked up my own eyes somehow.

Fun Fact: I created the image above all by myself using Paint. Pretty impressive eh?


Eye Doctors - Selling your vision care to the highest bidder - which ironically helps you read the fine print in advertisements. Rage against the machine!

No comments: