Monday, July 16, 2007

The Stormin' Mormon, Part 6: Wicked Sinful Ways

JP is in good spirits for a man going to hell.
(That may have something to do with the good spirits being sold in that particular establishment)

Well, after leaving the Mormon church, I'm now living a wicked and sinful lifestyle full of..... well, work, reading, and generally trying to be a decent human being. I tell ya, God would be ashamed. I drink from time to time - alcohol, coffee, and tea (all of which are big no-no's in the Mormon church). I even participate in activities with women that the church might frown upon (of course I might get to do so more often if I wouldn't refer to it as "participating in activities").

And you know what? I think I'm a good guy. But according to my former religion, I'm going to hell. I wish I gave a shit. Leaving the Mormon church left a very open road for me, and I explored some of my options. Eventually I came to realize that it wasn't just Mormonism that I had a problem with - it was religion in general. The Mormon church has some crazy beliefs and traditions, but every church does. Catholic priests wear goofy hats and "participate in activities" with little boys. Baptists wave their hands around when the spirit moves them. Jews avoid pork like it's carrying the plague. The Jehovah's Witnesses have mathematical formulas to calculate admission into heaven (or something like that). Methodists and Protestants are so apathetic toward their religion, it's a wonder they even have one.

Now that I've offended almost all of you, let me finish off the group - I do believe I am an atheist. I just don't believe that there's an invisible man up in the sky who's looking out for everyone and reading everyone's thoughts and judging us based on a set of rules that are supposed to be inferred from a burning azalea bush.

My biggest thing is prayer - that seems to be the center of most churches, and I think it's bogus. If God has a master plan, and he's going to do what he wants anyway (as evidenced by holy people frequently saying "God works in mysterious ways"), then why even bother praying? How important am I to be screwing with God's plan? Imagine God saying, "Well, I was going to have that hurricane hit Miami today, but Billy Bob is praying for me not to do it, so I guess I'll send it to Mexico instead. I hate the damn Beaners anyway!"

I suppose God could possibly exist (that's what agnostics will contend), but if he does, he sure as hell doesn't give a shit about any of us - and he sure as hell doesn't care what I do on a Sunday morning.

I could go on and on about religion (now that I've got myself all worked up about it), but I think that's enough for now. I'll let the righteous indignation now begin.

God - Making you drag your ass out of bed on Sundays for no reason since time immemorial.

3 comments:

contemplator said...

Based on critical thinking skills and the massive, steaming pile of evidence we have against the idea, it's intellectually dishonest for agnostics to contend that there "might be" a god. There is even less evidence that the Judeo-Christian god exists. Just go over to atheism and quit being ashamed already, I say. Very few people want to examine their religion critically. And those who do either end up writing children's fantasy books (a la C.S. Lewis) to comfort themselves, or they become atheists.

:D

JP said...

Contemplator: The whole thing with agnostics is that they can't be wrong. It's the ultimate safe position. "Well, there COULD be a God, but I don't know either way." Well no shit. There could be a planet made of Cool Whip orbiting a giant space anus. I'd say agnostic is a position that leads to atheist. I was agnostic for awhile I think (when I was looking at other religions, for example), but eventually I made up my mind.

As for C.S. Lewis - yea, the guy has issues. Much better is Mark Twain. He bashes religion in an enjoyable manner.

Anonymous said...

This is very sad.