Friday, July 06, 2007

Farm-Fresh Tragedy


Maybe I'm just a sick bastard, but I got a big kick out of this newspaper article. It's from the June 27 issue of the Leader Times (Kittanning's only newspaper). Keep in mind that this is the top story:

FIRE DESTROYS CENTURY-OLD BARN IN SURGARCREEK

An early-morning fire Tuesday destroyed a century-old barn along Route 268, owned by Linda and Bob Jones [names changed to protect me from the angry and vindictive], but the Joneses said they lost more than a building.

The blaze, which engulfed the 40-by-50-foot structure, destroyed valuable equipment and tools inside, along with killing 40 chickens and three peacocks, Bob Jones said. (Note from JP: This paragraph was the inset for the article - I can't fault them for that. It's also my favorite paragraph.)

"The male peacock had a tail that was about seven-feet long," Jones said. "He was majestic. A raccoon had been getting into part of the barn where the birds were so I started closing a small sliding door at night to keep the coon out. Unfortunately, it was the birds' only way out. I can't help but thinking that if the door was open, they might have escaped."

Peters said 16 young chickens, 15 hens and a rooster, were housed in a pen about 25 feet from the barn and escaped injury.

--------

The article continues onto the next page, but you get the idea. Keep in mind that this was the top story of the day. I love Kittanning.


The Leader Times: Failing to make your hometown seem interesting for over 100 years.

No comments: