Monday, March 31, 2008

All Sound and Fury Signifying Nothing

Don't hate me because I'm pretty.

I was perusing the Rate My Professor website the other day, and, because it's a must, I checked the entries for my own name. In the past, I'd only had one comment that said, "Great teacher. I loved him," which was probably one of the many smitten young ladies that had such unrequited adoration for me over the last few semesters.

But just a few days ago, I new comment was posted:

"Mr. P rambles on a lot about nothing, but at least he is not foreign and speaks the language he teaches. He is also better looking than the rest of the TA's seem to be in the department."

I'm not sure how to take such a backhanded compliment. I suppose it's all true. I prattle on in class about whatever amuses or interests me at any given second. Sometimes I'll simply take a few minutes to muse about something that interests only me... at least none of my students seem to be concerned with who the final Cylon on Battlestar Galactica is.

I love that simply being able to speak the language is such a plus too. I'm sure a lot of my students have TAs from all around the world teaching calculus and physics, but it just seems like such an odd thing to note.

And of course, my ego swells to dangerous levels knowing that this young lady thinks I'm more attractive than the rest of the English department. I don't know if that's a compliment for me or an insult to the department. Although, there's no guarantee that this submission is from a woman. I could be looking at another Apartment Guy all over again. "Hey there Mr. P! My participle is never dangling when you're around."

Oh god!

I guess I'm nothing but an air-headed piece of man-meat. I can live with being a mimbo.

--------------------------
50% of all freshman English students are picturing JP naked at any given time. Unfortunately, the other 50% are women.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Update your blog.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the Shit. Update now or face the consequences.

Anonymous said...

The audience is a little unreasonable and demanding lately, hell the origins of the "old school" blog "The Daily Plantman" used to only be a bi-weekly installment.

contemplator said...

I find it funny no one is commenting on your charm with the students. I figured this would bring people out of the woodwork. On the other hand, I actually couldn't think of anything to say about it myself.