Friday, July 17, 2009

Because I Said So, That's Why!

My online teacher is an arrogant ball bag!

For my final paper (three are a total of three papers and one portfolio), Professor Douchenozzle required a research paper about the No Child Left Behind Act. Given that it's the dominating legislation in education today, the topic seemed reasonable. However, when I went to the library last weekend to start researching, I was flabbergasted to discover that on the prompt he wrote, "It's hard to say how many pages this will be, but 10 is a good place to start." Lest you think I'm getting worked up about nothing, 10 pages is the same number of pages required for a final paper in gradute school... in English! ...where writing is the whole point. Also, this flew in the face of his course syllabus, which claimed that all the papers were three pages long.

To add further insult to injury, I went to the course website and discovered that the point values for our first three-page bullshit paper and this new 10-page monstrosity were the same. Both papers were apparently worth 300 points. Needless to say, I suspected that this might be an error or an extremely stupid decision on his part, so I sent him an email asking why the two papers were with the same number of points since the workload was clearly far heavier for the latter.

Also in the email, I asked him why the sample portfolio provided on the course website had almost nothing to do with the prompt provided. I'm usually pretty good at figuring out where teachers are coming from with their examples, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. So I politely (honest!) asked about the point values and the portfolio sample.

Here was his response:

Mr. [MY LAST NAME]:

This is a 200 level EDU class. NCLB is THE topic of most import in education today. Don't worry about 'points.' Worry about presenting a paper that fulfills the requirements. If it does not seem fair to you, you always have the option of not doing it.

Read the folder: the INTASC standards are a "possible format" offered as a guide if you wanted some direction. As stated, we developed the format in an in-class Foundations class. They make clear sense if you understand they provide a coherent template for a port.

First of all, he talks about a "200 level class" as though only the most prestigious doctors and lawyers have signed up to take his lofty course. He's teaching an introductory course about education to a class that should be made up of freshmen and sophomores. As a former grad student, I'm the exception - not the rule. Furthermore, it's at a community college! Should this jackass really be flouting his holier than thou attitude? I realize I went to WVU, which is hardly a scholarly mecca, but at least that's a state university.

Ten-page papers aren't easy to write. They require a thorough understanding of how to craft an extended argument, and even in grad school I sometimes struggled with them. Granted, I think I'm pretty good at writing them now, but what about freshmen or sophomores who have only ever written four-page papers for their community college writing courses? It's not like he offers any help. In his requirement for an abstract, he writes, "If you don't know what an abstract is, any standard writing book will tell you." That's right, you dumb and poor bastards. Go look it up yourself! I'm just your teacher; I'm not going to lower myself to actually TEACH you anything.

And he acts like I've offended his sensibilities by asking about the grading system. I realize that grades aren't everything, but I do like to have some idea of how I'll be assessed in a class. It's not unreasonable to expect that longer and more detailed assignments that require more research and writing will be worth more than short three-page assignments that I can churn out in half an hour. Furthemore, he raved about my first paper, and he praised my writing skills and my commitment to going above and beyond the requirements of the class in answering the question. Did he really need to take a tone of complete and disdainful condescention when responding to (what I thought were) my reasonable concerns?And his response to my portfolio question essentially amounts to, "Read it again. If you understand it, it'll make sense." Seriously, nothing in his response makes any fucking sense. The prompt makes no reference to how that example gels with what's required.

As you may have guessed, I resented his implications that my questions were those of a stupid and lazy person who didn't bother to read directions. I wanted so badly to write a snarky and scathing response brimming with vitriol and dripping with sarcasm. But I quickly dismissed that idea. The arrogant old prick still has to give me a grade for the class, and I'm sure burning my bridges before I even cross them would be considered unwise. And he's the chair of CCAC's English department. I may never go to that dump again, but he may have connections that could bite me in the ass later in life. Suppose his wife is the principal of a school that I want a job at someday. Knowing my luck, that would certainly be the case. So instead of tearing him a new one, I took the opposite track. I sent a quick and thoroughly heartfelt reply that read:

Dear Professor [ASSHOLE'S LAST NAME HERE]:

Thank you for the clarification. I didn't mean to sound disrespectful or disparaging. The assignments will be completed fully and on time.

Deep inside me somewhere, I truly hope that he would feel guilty that I sound so repentant for having offended his sensibilities. But given this guy's track record (his emails to the class are equally condescending and rude), I suspect he simply nodded and said to himself, "Finally, someone who recognizes the splendor of my magnficence."

Arrogant old asshole probably thinks he's too good to be teaching at a community college and delights in his own superiority complex. One more week and I can bid his inflated ego a fond adieu.

-----------------------------------
JP doesn't think he was ever this much of a douchebag to his own students, though surely at least one of them would disagree...

12 comments:

contemplator said...

ARGH. You sent the wrong reply. You need to remember Professor I-Have-Three-Combs and the similar situation we had with him. You ARE the exception, and you have more than enough experience of how the system works to go balls-to-the-wall here. Like this:

Dear Prof. Doucheknuckle:

Having a Master's Degree in English and having taught over 150 students of my own in intensive composition and rhetoric at a state land grant university beholden to the Student Evaluation of Instruction (SEI) mechanism, I am probably more aware of the need for syllabus clarity than others who are taking a 200 level course for the first time. One of the main goals of writing is to "know your audience" -- something I cannot do if I am advised to disregard the point structure entirely, a thing you surely will not do at the end of this course. I am more than capable of completing this work, as I have completed articles with greater length than this assignment. I would like to know where to concentrate my research, as your syllabus clearly states that all papers are three pages long, and as I'm sure you are well aware, ten page "conference length" essays require a different academic approach. Please consider as well that if I have an advanced degree and most of your students are still in their freshman or sophomore year, they are likely to be just as confused on the clarity of your syllabus as I am. Your help in this matter is still required.

Signed, Mr. I Know What the Fuck I'm Doing


He needs to know you've been around the block, or he will fuck you over at the end of the semester. At the least don't spread your legs for him, for Chrissake.

JP said...

He won't screw me over. My paper is the balls. It's extensive and super-sweet.

The first paper for the class was a "personal history" essay that explained our backgrounds and why we want to go into teaching. Needless to say, my experiences teaching 101 and being a graduate student got plenty of play in that essay. He clearly doesn't give a damn. In fact, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he's threatened by my degree. He's working at a community college with a chip on his shoulder the size of the grand canyon. He probably feels like he has to fluff his plumage, so to speak.

As satisfying as it would be to send the message you suggested, I think it would only agitate this guy even more. Based on some of the emails he's sent to the class, I get the impression that he responds to questions of his curriculum like a petulant child. I have no desire to take the damn class again. He already told us that he's grading our final portfolio pass/fail, and if we fail that, we fail the class. That's something that could so easily be a judgment call on his part, and I don't need that asshat screwing everything over.

Yea, my response was probably far too timid, but I'd rather keep that sumbitch friendly toward me for one more week and then crucify his ass on the course evaluation.

JP said...

Though, incidentally, your suggested email is pretty boss. :)

contemplator said...

I know we have different theories on this. Mine is that metaphorical petulant children need metaphorically spanked.

He wouldn't dare fail your portfolio -- how could he justify it to the comm college that pays him so little to teach online that he failed the MASTER'S degree person?!

He's bluffing because he is intimidated by you and because he's a lazy fuck. Of course the Contemplator Philosophy says to show him the heel of your boot and break his bluff, but I understand that's not one size fits all.

contemplator said...

What's ironic is that recently me & El Hijo have been discussing me potentially going back to grad school for a PhD. Know what in? Education. LOLOL. (I guess that makes it a D.Ed. instead?) Curriculum bitches, here I come. Batten down your mother fucking hatches.

I think the Ed dept. is even more full of jack asses than the English dept. ever dreamed of being.

Seems like a good place to go stir shit. Especially at the university level, where they're so in bed with corporate text books.

Yes, I'm that bored sometimes.

JP said...

I agree that his ass needs metaphorically spanked, but I don't think this is a guy who internalizes his problems. "Everyone who takes my class fails and calls me a terrible teacher? Well I guess everyone else is wrong!"

Like I said, I'm going to spend *considerable* time with his course evaluation. When his superiors read it, perhaps they'll give it a little bit of weight given that it'll be a lengthy diatribe in which six years of Englishy bullshit is brought to bear on it.

You getting a PhD in education would be delightful. I can only imagine the tales of you confronting the existing faculty. The fact that you'd be well on your way to becoming that woman who looked like George Washington's wife (her name escapes me at the moment - the one who wrote the writing book) would only make it all the sweeter. :)

contemplator said...

I forgot about Andrea Lunsford.



Yeah ... I guess that might be me later. I saw her at a conference last December. She looked like some combination of Princess Leia and composition fairy.

JP said...

You could certainly do a lot worse. I think you'd make a great education prof. You could bend so many more people to your will with that sort of authority. :)

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

contemplator said...

And they'd take it -- that's the sorry part.

I've had to deal with education people before, both in a nonprofit and in other ways. They just sit there like bleating sheep. They're so scared about losing federal dollars that they don't think for themselves. I think it's about time somebody threw a brick at that system.

Oh, btw, did I tell you that the 2nd "me" is a brick thrower of his own? And he looked so sweet...

JP said...

When you were visiting, you told me that you thought he had the potential to be a glorious shit-stirrer, but you had no proof.

Nice to know your inkling was right. :)

contemplator said...

He writes anarchist articles for e-zines.

He's like a fucking Clark Kent -- so mild mannered looking.

He's ready to go after textbook companies after February of next year. LOL.

The five year plan ... we has one.