Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Summer of George


"My name is George. I'm unemployed, and I live with my parents."

With so many television shows out there, I think everyone can find some television character who embodies their circumstances if not their personality. Batmite is a shorter, paunchier version of Raj from The Big Bang Theory. Dave is the Tweek character from South Park. And I've maintained for some time that Kyra Sedgwick's character from The Closer is essentially Virgil if she were a police chief.

But those are all endearing characters. I realized a few weeks ago while watching Seinfeld that I am the living embodiment of George Costanza.

The line inspiring that train of thought is clearly the one at the top. If that isn't the most succinct summation of my circumstances (brought on when George decides to do the opposite of his natural insticts by being completely honest with a woman), then I don't know what is. In addition, George repeatedly fails with women, complains about insignificant minutiae, and lives vicariously through the interesting lives of others. And in the long-running Seinfeld plotline of George and Jerry trying to create a pilot for a sitcom, George fancies himself a marketable writer despite never actually selling any written material.

Given that George is something of a fictionalized version of Larry David, the creator of Seinfeld and current star of Curb Your Enthusiasm, I also find myself frequently sympathizing with the main character of that latter show. George, Larry David, and I could all sit down and have a marvelous lunch together. We're all essentially the same person.

Except I'm not bald.... or Jewish.... yet.

More Costanza quotes that apply to me:

"If you take everything I've accomplished in my life and condense it down to one day, it looks decent."

"I'm disturbed; I'm depressed; I'm inadequate; I've got it all!"

"I was living the dream. I was stripped to the waist eating a block of cheese the size of a car battery."

"You ask me to have lunch, tell me you slept with Elaine, and then say you're not in the mood for details? Now you listen to me. I want details and I want them right now. I don't have a job. I have no place to go. You're not in the mood? Well you GET in the mood!"


"I'm ALL awkward pauses!"

---------------------------------
"The jerk store called... they're running out of you!"

5 comments:

contemplator said...

I have no idea who this closer person is.

JP said...

The show is on TNT. Her folksy southern charm masks her uncanny ability to completely tear you to shreds in the interrogation chamber while she indulges in much shit-stirring among her co-workers.

Sound like anyone you know? :)

I didn't make the connection until there was one episode where she says "Well bless your heart" in that same way I've heard you do where you really mean, "I am going to destroy you physically and mentally."

contemplator said...

Well, now that you mention it, I do love me some shit-stirrin' ...

contemplator said...

Your blog looks gross -- change the background.

JP said...

I've been thinking about it, but I haven't found one I like better yet.